Flexible Respite Opportunities
EMR ABI Flexible Respite Fund
Eastern Region ABI Flexible Respite service is administered by BrainLink on behalf of the Department of Human Services (Eastern Metropolitan Region) and provides funding for services to enhance the quality of life of a person with an Acquired Brain Injury, and of their carers'/families'.
As the name suggests, it is a flexible funding scheme, which offers a range of individualised short-term respite support, specific to each person or the carers'/families' needs.
Who Is This Service For?
- Carers and family members living with an individual who has an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI), stroke or a neurological condition;
- The carer and family member applicant is aged between birth - 65 years;
- The person being cared for lives in the Eastern Metropolitan Region
Aim of Flexible Respite Services
- To maintain the caring relationship for the long term.
- Improve the wellbeing of the carer/family and the person being cared for.
- Support the caring relationship and attend to short term support needs.
- Provide immediate or preventive measures where necessary.
- Provide practical support to carers.
- Provide access to social and recreational activities for the person with an ABI/carer/family.
- To increase the confidence and level of independence as well as improve the quality of life of the person with an ABI
- To add value to existing resources being currently funded or seeking funding
Examples Of What Can Be Funded
- Additional one-off carer respite, to suit the person and carer.
- Additional short-term personal care/home help as person's or carer's needs change.
- Family/relationship counselling.
- Funding to attend community integrated activities for either the carer, the person, or as a family (i.e. children to attend a school holiday program with assistance).
- Funding for a person/carer/family holiday.
How to Be Referred
Applications can be made by your respective case management service or ABI associated agencies, or other health professional. These include:
- Melbourne City Mission (ABI Service)
- Care Connect
- Eastern Access Community Health Centre
- Boroondara Council/HACC
- Association for Children with a Disability
- Your local GP
Check your local phone directory for contact details.
For further information
Contact Karen Jorgensen, Client Services Manager
Ph: 9845 2956
Fax: 9845 2882